Tuesday, March 24, 2015

First steel beams go up at the Southaven Tanger Outlet site

Retail Retell posted about the coming Tanger Outlets just last week: http://midsouthretail.blogspot.com/2015/03/desoto-county-retail-target-but.html?spref=bl. Suddenly, March 24, 2015, mere days later, new steelwork is going up at the site:

 

This is more than likely an outlot building of some sort. A couple of weeks ago, some large temporary tents were erected on site for the groundbreaking ceremony, which I failed to get pictures of. So I thought I would take the time to document this occasion. Unfortunately, I didn't have my little point-and-shoot zoom lens camera with me, so this close-cropped cell phone pic will have to do.

I would certainly be more in favor of this whole outlet mall thing if the needed road improvements were currently in place. Church Rd. is already a traffic snarl at certain times of the day, and often total gridlock when events are taking place at the nearby Landers Center. If the proposed improvements to the I-55 interchange are still in the early planning stages, as the article that Retail Retell linked to seems to imply, then this outlet mall will likely open long before any road construction even starts. I clearly remember reading an article stating than I-55 would be widened all the way to Hernando by 1994! Guess what? It's 2015, and much of I-55 through DeSoto County remains as it was the day it opened, circa 1964. The mayor wasn't exaggerating when he said these improvements are needed urgently.

One other thing, the "powers that be" are opening up a drainage ditch right across the street from the main mall site, not too far from houses and a church, and apparently plan on using it as a water runoff retention area. Really!?? I would hope they will make it nice-looking and all, but even so, I don't think I would be too happy if this were right in my neighborhood. And lastly, Elmore Rd., just a few blocks away, is being widened, in large part I would imagine due to this very project. At least there is some planning ahead going on, BUT...

First of all, this Elmore Rd. widening is only going to encourage residents from further north to travel down Greenbrook Pkwy., a RESIDENTIAL street (which IS in my neighborhood!), in order to get to Elmore and this new mall. Secondly, this Elmore Rd. construction project is one of the most unsafe things I've ever seen! (Are you listening, Mayor Musselwhite!?). I had to dodge one of the cranes that was installing culverts on one occasion, and on another I saw the flagmen wave vehicles going in opposite directions right into the same lane! Luckily the drivers had more common sense than the people running that crazy show! Sorry, I digressed a bit there at the end, but just goes to show some of the challenges being faced due to this upcoming mall, which (someone correct me if I'm wrong), isn't even going to be a true, old-school, enclosed mall!

So put me down as not really being in favor of this, at least not at this time. It could be worse: I feel for those poor Horn Lake residents that will have to deal with the traffic (and other) nightmares associated with that future Walmart!

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, it's going to be an outdoor mall. As far as I know it's going to be arranged in a way where the parking lot is around the mall itself to where it'll encourage walking over parking in front of each store.

    Blogger is having issues tonight, it seems! I had to get on a different device just to comment, which is why I'm not logged in. Plus the picture doesn't seem to be loading. But welcome to the blogging world anyhow, glad you're aboard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, remind me to send you the county pictures! I meant to but haven't gotten around to it. That way we can all put them at the beginning of the posts.

      Also, I realized I accidentally put Retell Retail as my name for the above comment! Stupid sinuses fogging my head!

      Delete
  2. Thanks! It's not working much better 24+ hours later. It keeps telling me "an error occured" when it tries to save changes, yet it seems to save the changes OK today. Yesterday I had some grammer errors I wanted to correct, and it wouldn't let me!

    Pulling this up on my phone has yet to work correctly, the picture failed to load on the mobile version, but did when I switched to web version. Either way, it locks up the browser on my phone and I get an error saying the page has become unresponsive. My phone is Android, the sole reason I got a Google account. Could it be that Google is making software that's incompatible with -- uh, other Google sowftware!??

    Nonetheless, I got a post up that works, at least halfway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it gives me that error message all the time on my phone and my computer! I quickly figured out it means nothing... I think! I've gotten the picture to load now on mobile. But Google sure is confusing with all this stuff.

      Yep! I wasn't sure what the water retention ditch was going to be, but I suppose that makes sense. And I'm not looking forward to all the traffic troubles either! We're slowly trying to figure out all the back roads to get home so we can avoid the ones that are going to be super busy soon.

      Delete

Have any info to share, or simply want to join the discussion? Please feel free to leave a comment! Comments are welcome on any and all posts so long as you adopt a username and do not post any malicious links. Comments are subject to moderation before being approved, so please be patient if your comment does not appear automatically. Please remain civil in your comments. If we decide your comment is inappropriate, we reserve the right to delete it.

Disclaimer: The Mid-South Retail Blog exists solely for educational and historical purposes. This blog claims no ownership of, or relation to, any organization, retail or otherwise, whose property may be featured in pictures or in links within posts. We are not affiliated with, or endorsed by, any entity featured on the blog. However, we do claim ownership of our content, unless it is credited otherwise. If you find any inaccuracies in our posts, please let us know in the comments or via email so that we can make any necessary changes. Information on the blog may be frequently updated without notice.