Friday, March 17, 2017

Celebrating Two Years of The Mid-South Retail Blog!


It's March 17th again, and you know what that means... well, okay, yes, it means that it's St. Patrick's Day, sure. But more importantly (at least as far as this website is concerned), it's the blog's anniversary! Today marks two years that the Mid-South Retail Blog has been up and running. It's not the most frequently updated site by any means, but I enjoy operating this outlet for retail news, photographs, and stories (in 2016, I was especially proud of my Aftermath of Seessel's essay), and I hope you guys enjoy reading and commenting on my posts, too. (The fact that you keep doing both of those things at least implies to me that you do, haha!)

As with last year, here are a few statistics to mark the occasion. We are inching closer to the milestone of 50,000 visitors (!), sitting at 39,592 right now. December 2016 has been our most popular month so far, receiving 7,549 pageviews in those 31 days alone. We also had over 7,000 pageviews in January of this year; currently, halfway through March we're at 2,500 or so, which is still well above our highest point prior to late last year, which was March 2016 at 1,221 pageviews. I'm not sure what brought on that huge spike of visitors, but it's certainly a welcome sight! And as far as individual posts go, here are the top five as measured by pageviews:

1. Mid-South Kroger Marketplace Expansion; February 2016; 1,098
2. BREAKING: East Memphis Kroger Closure, Target Remodels (UPDATE: and Sears Replacement); March 2016; 1,047
3. Kmart Memphis (Bonus: Sears Poplar Avenue); March 2016; 928
4. Closings and Openings in Memphis and the Mid-South; January 2016; 911
5. Olive Branch Crossing Construction; September 2015; 877


Speaking of Olive Branch Crossing... the blog's second-anniversary special treat comes not from me this year, but instead, WMC Action News 5! As they reported earlier this month, the aforementioned shopping center's highly-anticipated Fresh Market store has unfortunately suffered a setback: due to the chain switching owners, its opening date of spring 2017 has been pushed back to summer 2018. The Commercial Appeal reports that the store itself is an empty shell, completely finished on the outside but nothing but dirt on the inside. They chose to use a recent picture of the store to illustrate that fact, while WMC Action News 5 decided to use a picture taken earlier in the construction of the store. And as it turns out, that picture came from this blog post! As you can see in the screenshot from their mobile app above, they even credited the blog, though I did have to contact them to make that happen. I also sent them a more updated picture, but looks like they were fine sticking with that one. In any case, it made my day to see my photo featured on my favorite local news station's website, and I'm very happy that the MSRB was credited in the end! Now we're famous XD

One final statistic: the blog's first full-fledged contributor post, featuring a project created by blog commenter 11110, fittingly holds the record for the post with the most comments thus far, at 21. And speaking of contributions, yours are always welcome! I know I plug the blog's email address, midsouthretailblog [at] gmail [dot] com, incessantly, but more than ever I find it worth mentioning in this post, since it has seen a pretty good amount of activity all its own since its inception back in July 2015, not long after the blog itself was founded. It's open not only to your Mid-South retail photos and stories so that they may be featured on the site, but also to simple retail conversations, a string of which I have indeed held with readers of the blog as of late.

In theory, I have two contributors with future posts in the works, although I'm not faulting them if those don't become reality because I've learned firsthand how hard it is to develop content for a blog! For what it's worth, despite the fact that I only hold myself to posting once monthly for only ten months out of the year, I'm doing my best to come up with new content to feature soon. Specifically, I'm trying to branch out into other counties besides just DeSoto and Shelby, so that the blog might become at least slightly closer to covering the whole Mid-South as its name implies and not just the Memphis metropolitan area! Of course, it goes without saying that I'll still have plenty of material from those two counties as well, including my feature post for this month, which should hopefully be posted tomorrow unless something else comes up. Bottom line: I'm excited for what I've got planned for the blog as its third year in operation begins, and I hope you are, too!

Until next time, and as always, thank you for your support, and have fun exploring the retail world wherever you are!

Retail Retell

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations on two years! I appreciate the work that goes into it; I try to maintain two and I agree that it's tough to come up with material for them.(I need to get tips on promoting; my stats are in the toilet.)

    Anwyay, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I also have a bit of trouble finding the time to even sit down and write the posts, but I do my best :) As for promoting tips, I need some too, haha! I have no clue how the visitors have spiked so much here. I link to the blog all the time on my flickr account, but Blogger shows my top traffic sources as Google, Albertsons Florida Blog, and Twin Tiers Retail Blog! Apparently, getting others to promote for you does the trick XD

      Delete
  2. Congrats on two years! I know you put a lot of work into the blog, and it shows! The Aftermath of Seessel's was a great post, and you told that story very well. I'm looking forward to more in the coming year and in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I appreciate the compliments, and I'm glad to keep the content coming! :)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on another year of blogging! Hopefully WMC will think to give credit where credit is due next time (and not after the fact!), and this will increase the traffic to the blog even more in the future. Kind of unexpected news about The Fresh Market though - that project already seemed to be taking a very long time, so maybe it shouldn't be surprising after all. In fact, I'll believe a Fresh Market is opening there only when I see it happen!

    One other thing Olive Branch related, if you haven't seen it lately already: the construction beside the O.B. Walmart certainly looks like it's going to be a new fuel center! Still not much progress there, but there's a giant hole dug out now (just right for fuel tanks), and even more telling: it appears they are laying out the places where the fuel pump islands will be... could be another idea for a blog post, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree about WMC and the Fresh Market project. Hopefully some sort of grocery store ends up opening there, anyway, if not them!

      Nope, I haven't seen that, thanks for the heads-up! I rarely go out that way, so I don't think I'll be able to get regular construction photos for a blog post, but it's a good idea for one nonetheless :P

      Delete
  4. Congrats! (better late than never)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also congrats! (and even later!)

    ReplyDelete

Have any info to share, or simply want to join the discussion? Please feel free to leave a comment! Comments are welcome on any and all posts so long as you adopt a username and do not post any malicious links. Comments are subject to moderation before being approved, so please be patient if your comment does not appear automatically. Please remain civil in your comments. If we decide your comment is inappropriate, we reserve the right to delete it.

Disclaimer: The Mid-South Retail Blog exists solely for educational and historical purposes. This blog claims no ownership of, or relation to, any organization, retail or otherwise, whose property may be featured in pictures or in links within posts. We are not affiliated with, or endorsed by, any entity featured on the blog. However, we do claim ownership of our content, unless it is credited otherwise. If you find any inaccuracies in our posts, please let us know in the comments or via email so that we can make any necessary changes. Information on the blog may be frequently updated without notice.