Thursday, March 17, 2016

Celebrating One Year of The Mid-South Retail Blog!

I had this set to post at 3:17 today... and of course it didn't work out. Better late than never though :P

Last year on March 17th I began this journey, and today we meet again to celebrate St. Patrick's Day, also known as the one-year anniversary of the Mid-South Retail Blog! As I mentioned in my first-ever post, I was encouraged to start this journey by Albertsons Florida Blog (on flickr), as a means to host my comprehensive list of Memphis metro Kroger stores and their respective décor packages. Well, I took that one step further, as I'm sure you all know today! I feel like I've accomplished a great deal more than I expected, and it's been tons of fun. I want to thank each and every one of you who have checked out the blog before, and doubly thank those of you who have returned time and time again. It's humbling to know that you've enjoyed this as well!

Since that Metro Listing post is essentially where it all started, I thought today would be as good a day as any to note that it has been updated to reflect many changes that have occurred since its original posting. Additionally, thanks to an anonymous commenter, the table has been reorganized by store number, and should hopefully be easier to read based on store address and/or community. Feel free to take a peek at the post here!

Speaking of anonymous comments: firstly, I'd like to thank all of you who have commented for doing so - I truly appreciate the conversation and interest you take in our content. However, it's gotten somewhat confusing at times to know if an anonymous commenter is a returning commenter or someone completely different - a good problem to have on the grand scale of things, but something I'd like to clear up. I ask that from now on you post comments with a username via the Name/URL option. The great Acme Style blog has a post detailing how this can be done here: please check it out! The Name/URL option does not actually require a URL, thereby allowing you to remain essentially anonymous and retain your privacy while making it easier for me and others to know who we're talking to on different posts. For the time being, the anonymous option will remain intact, but I would definitely prefer if you'd consider adopting a username.

Returning to the topic at hand... To commemorate the anniversary, I figured why not (in the vein of AFB) include a few statistics? At the time of this writing, the Mid-South Retail Blog has received 7,652 visitors since its inception - you can track this yourself now with the addition of a new widget in the blog's footer. In January of this year we received our highest monthly amount of pageviews, peaking very close to 1,000 at 969! That Metro Listing post I mentioned has been pretty popular with 118 views, but comes nowhere close to the all-time most-visited post, the similarly updated Tanger Outlets Southaven Complete Store Listing, which has garnered to date 284 views, with the Kroger Millennium Décor post trailing in second place with 202 views. The Tanger post also holds the record for most user activity with 19 comments.

Even after one year on the web and so many visitors and comments, I'm still not quite sure what exactly the mission of the Mid-South Retail Blog is. Is this a Kroger-centric site? A hub for regional retail news? Or simply a host for feature posts, such as my personal favorite highlighting South Lake Centre? Honestly, I'm thinking it's a blend of all that and more... and what is certain is that I look forward to continuing to share content and comments with all of you for the next 365 days. :)

For my next post (the blog's 30th!), we'll be taking a look around the Memphis Kmart - that's coming up next weekend. Until then, and as always, thank you for following the Mid-South Retail Blog, and have fun exploring the retail world wherever you are!

Retail Retell

18 comments:

  1. Congrats on the 1 year anniversary! I really wasn't expecting all of this to come out of what I said way back then, but glad to see that you're still dedicated to it! I've enjoyed reading the posts over the last year, and I've learned a lot about Mid-South Retail in the process (my Kroger knowledge has been vastly improving!). Keep up the dedication, and here's to more from the Mid-South Retail Blog in the future!

    And thanks for all the links as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I'm thinking of starting a Twitter handle for the blog, but I'm not quite sure what I'd do with one. I certainly don't need another app to add to my phone that will take up valuable photo-storage space! :P

      And you're welcome!

      Delete
    2. I've thought about making a Twitter before, but I just don't see myself as a Twitter person. It would be hard for me to cram what I want to say into 140 characters! And like you, I wouldn't know what to do with it either. Seeing how you updated your Kroger list, that reminds me that I need to update some of the pages on AFB that I've been neglecting in order to stay ahead on my posts!

      Delete
    3. Yep, that'd be my main problem too. I'm not well known for conciseness XD

      Delete
  2. You asked, you will receive.

    I'm the one who supplied you and AFB with a few things.

    On AFB, I mentioned the Harris Teeter Expansion Project in Fernandina Beach and the news that Wegmans was entering NC.

    On here, I told you about the "For Goodness Sake/Olympic Spirit" Decor, and I gave you the store numbers. I have a Kroger project myself, but I won't reveal it. I'm not planning to start a blog or anything, but just something for archival purposes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, 11110! :) Your Kroger project sounds like it'll be pretty cool, looking forward to hearing more about it!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your anniversary! It's been a pleasure following along with your work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and likewise! I notice you'll soon be approaching one year yourself :)

      Delete
    2. The blog, yes. I've figured out that January 2014 is when I first really started taking a closer look at retail stuff; by that November I really went nuts.

      Delete
    3. I'm not sure when I started to get into retail but photo-wise it was sometime 2014 for me too, probably mid- to late-year. I know my discovery of flickr is what triggered me to get into taking photos (and eventually joining flickr myself), but I think I've more or less liked retail for a good while.

      Delete
  4. Can't believe it's been one year already! Congrats, and maybe I can find time to contribute a few more posts next year!

    Looking forward to the info/photos on the Memphis Kmart as well..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and yeah, feel free!

      The big news is what we were kinda expecting based on what I've told you about the visit: but I'll save that for the post ;)

      Delete
    2. While on the subject of closings: Book Haven has delayed their closing date until sometime in early April. I think the sign said April 2nd, but I couldn't read it from the road :P

      And for a little upbeat retail news: don't know if you noticed that Bath & Body Works has opened a new location in Southaven Towne Center, I believe where the old Trade Secret location was. With all the hype about Tanger Outlets, it's nice to see that STC isn't falling by the wayside. Now if we can only find a good tenant to take over the Hancock Fabrics location...

      And as I write this on March 22, Elmore Rd. stands a good chance of being finished (only lacking the final striping) by the end of the day tomorrow! Against all odds, I think might even turn out better than the new part of Swinnea (which has developed a few big issues they will have to correct).

      Delete
    3. Yep, I saw that too in an ad they put in the paper. Apparently all books - not just used - are now 50% off, with fixtures for sale as well.

      I have noticed, actually! I agree, it's good that it's still drawing in new businesses (and business!). Those isolated buildings in the center aren't doing so well though.

      That's great news! I haven't been down Swinnea in the past few weeks, but the several times I have been down it I didn't think it was bad at all - sucks if some problems have developed.

      Delete
  5. I'm a little late to this post as usual, but as you said at the beginning of your post, better late than never.

    Congrats on one year!

    I know I've turned my blog into more of a regional news with looks at malls and Kmart locations within the county boundary. Looking forward to that Kmart post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, I think that's one of the benefits of a blog - you can read it anytime you like and the content should remain the same! And thank you! :)

      I've enjoyed reading your blog! Today's post was pretty interesting, especially in regards to that former Kmart building still partly standing. And on that note, thanks again!

      Delete
    2. I'm glad to hear that you are reading the blog! I was wondering if you still were because I've noticed you weren't commenting as much, which is fine as I know that takes time.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I know - I'm sorry! It's hard for me to find things to say sometimes. But rest assured, whenever Blogger tells me there's a new post on one of the blogs I follow, I go and read it! :D

      Delete

Have any info to share, or simply want to join the discussion? Please feel free to leave a comment! Comments are welcome on any and all posts so long as you adopt a username and do not post any malicious links. Comments are subject to moderation before being approved, so please be patient if your comment does not appear automatically. Please remain civil in your comments. If we decide your comment is inappropriate, we reserve the right to delete it.

Disclaimer: The Mid-South Retail Blog exists solely for educational and historical purposes. This blog claims no ownership of, or relation to, any organization, retail or otherwise, whose property may be featured in pictures or in links within posts. We are not affiliated with, or endorsed by, any entity featured on the blog. However, we do claim ownership of our content, unless it is credited otherwise. If you find any inaccuracies in our posts, please let us know in the comments or via email so that we can make any necessary changes. Information on the blog may be frequently updated without notice.