Thursday, July 9, 2015

Krog-splosion//What's next for the Mid-South Retail Blog? (Updated with new features)


We interrupt your Kroger décor posts for the following Kroger breaking news out of Hernando, MS...

...okay, well, it's not really "breaking," per se. It's actually only recent news, from July 2nd, off of the DeSoto County magical retail chancery clerk website, if you know how to find it (which I now do, thanks very much to l_dawg2000!!). But it is our first glimpse at the definitely-happening-and-all-but-confirmed-Marketplace Kroger expansion.


In the above picture (courtesy Google), you can see the current Hernando Kroger space shaded in gray, along with the space they will grow to occupy outlined around it. Quite a big jump!! Feel free to click it, and the below picture showcasing the pieced-together land plot map thing (courtesy DeSoto County's online documents, and MS Paint), to make them more readable/understandable for you.


-----------------

Now, to the other part of today's post: a post about posts. Following the conclusion of my Kroger décor series (one post to go, and it's gonna be the fun one!), I start back school in early August. As such, and coupled with the fact that it will be my final year of high school, my flickr account (with uploads weekly) will take precedence over my contributions to the blog. I will do my best to get one post in monthly - as promised when I started the blog, and not too hard considering I have some stuff in mind. It's just coming up with the time, not the content, that's going to be pressing on me.

l_dawg2000 surely has some things up his sleeve as well, so be sure to watch out for new posts from him. And, since I haven't done so yet, I'd like to formally extend the invitation to you guys - that's right, those of you reading these words! I'd love to have some of you visitors of the Mid-South Retail Blog become contributors. Please feel free to send in your fully written post(s), pertaining to anything and everything Mid-South retail (that is, within the counties pictured on our logo) - past, present, future, pictures or no pictures included - to midsouthretailblog@gmail.com, where either I or l_dawg2000 will proofread, make sure your content is acceptable (i.e., be civil, please), and post it ASAP!

UPDATE 7-12-15: Not only can you now contribute to the blog, you can sign up for email alerts, too! This way, you can choose to be notified when a new post makes its way up, whether it be from me, l_dawg2000, a visitor, or even you! That feature - along with several other new ones, including a search bar and links to some of my contact's blogs - can now be found on the sidebar on the desktop version of this website.

As for the Hernando Kroger expansion, I hope to be around to see some or even all of it, but I'm afraid I'll be in college before any real stuff gets done. Fortunately, l_dawg2000 has pledged to stay on top of it - check out his flickr account sooner or later when work begins on that, plus you can see some of his multiple other Kroger remodel/expansion albums!

That's all that's going on for now - er, in the foreseeable future, that is - in Hernando and on the Mid-South Retail Blog. So, until next time, enjoy exploring the retail world wherever you are!

Retail Retell

8 comments:

  1. Good reasearch on this! Thanks for all the links to my stuff, and all the "namedropping"!

    I'm pretty sure I found the same thing you did for the original Kroger layout, but didn't see any plans for the new building. So I'm guessing you just pieced it all together, and figured out the layout (more or less) on your own!? If so, looks resonable to me! (I have yet to check out the construction links I believe you sent me a flikcr message about, will try and do that later this weekend).

    Now I have to wonder if the new building will be built on a lower level than the old one, at least a few feet or so, to avoid having to truck in massive amounts of fill dirt! I wonder if this means we'll be saying goodbye to the nice, tree-lined parking lot as it stands as well :( Probably so if that's where the fuel center will be moved to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Technically, you "started it," by giving me the county link, haha!

      Yeah, it's kinda patched together from one of the chancery clerk documents, but I think it gives the general picture. From what I can understand, they'll just be trucking in dirt to build up the land and make it even, as the existing parking lot will remain at that level - and that poor small little row directly along the back of Pizza Hut will actually stay untouched, as well as the Mr. Chen's center. It does seem like they'll be doing lots of landscaping though, so maybe it'll end up looking even better, I'd hope...

      As for the construction links: only addendum 1 has really cool stuff, just hit download at the top link and it'll save 'em. Documents 18-24 are the coolest ones in my opinion, as they have a look at what the walls will look like with the marketplace décor. But you can find tons of other stuff in there too, from how they're going to widen East Parkway and the planning phases for literally everything to the new departments (including Starbucks, Fred Meyer Jewelers, and Murray's Cheese) and the exact Sherwin Williams paint colors they'll use!

      Delete
  2. Hope your final year of school will go well. I just finished mine this year as you probably already know. Back to the topic of Kroger, I'll be interested in seeing what toys the marketplace store carries. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It'll be difficult squeezing in all the college prep stuff with the senior year stuff, but hopefully I'll be able to manage.

      Definitely an expanded selection! I'll be sure to let you know :)

      Delete
  3. Just looked at one of the main floor layout blueprints. We "in the biz" just call them 'prints, only in my business it's small part prints instead of monster buildings, but anyway...

    It would appear the store will be very similar to the Southaven monster Kroger as you come in the main entrance, with floral to the immediate right by the front wall, and produce just inside the door to the right as well, kind of out in the middle. Deli on the far right wall, etc... Bakery and cheese were a bit different, and much larger than Southaven, from what I could tell by giving the plans a quick glance over. They should put the same Murray's Cheese Shop in the Southaven store! Toys will be on the opposite end of the store toward the back, one or two entire aisles maybe! Also very large areas for apparel and kitchenware. Still haven't gotten to the wall décor plans yet...it's quite a lot to take in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! It wouldn't let me rename the files though, so I had to just go through each and kinda write down which ones are the good ones and which ones are just schematics and such. I do think that Southaven could add the Murray's Cheese shop, and that if Kroger had wanted both it and Germantown could have both feasibly become Marketplaces.

      Could you tell if the Little Clinic made the cut? I can't imagine them opening it fairly recently just to get rid of it in the new store, but I couldn't find it in the "'prints!" Since there wasn't an actual just layout-only one, maybe it was just covered by all the other stuff the document was showing (i.e. electrical or plumbing, etc.)?

      Delete
  4. I do recall seeing an area (quite a large area!) on one of the prints labeled "L.C." or "T.L.C." over by the pharmacy, which also will be in more or less the same place it's in at the Southaven Getwell-Goodman store. "T.L.C." will be just to the right of that if I remember correctly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, great! I figured I had to have just overlooked it.

      Delete

Have any info to share, or simply want to join the discussion? Please feel free to leave a comment! Comments are welcome on any and all posts so long as you adopt a username and do not post any malicious links. Comments are subject to moderation before being approved, so please be patient if your comment does not appear automatically. Please remain civil in your comments. If we decide your comment is inappropriate, we reserve the right to delete it.

Disclaimer: The Mid-South Retail Blog exists solely for educational and historical purposes. This blog claims no ownership of, or relation to, any organization, retail or otherwise, whose property may be featured in pictures or in links within posts. We are not affiliated with, or endorsed by, any entity featured on the blog. However, we do claim ownership of our content, unless it is credited otherwise. If you find any inaccuracies in our posts, please let us know in the comments or via email so that we can make any necessary changes. Information on the blog may be frequently updated without notice.