Sunday, September 17, 2023

Lucky Brand Jeans Closing, Ridgeland, MS

Today's post highlights Madison County, MS, retail.

After an absence from the blog in August (during which I instead was invited over to My Florida Retail for a Q+A session on Aldi's purchase of the Winn-Dixie and Harveys chains from Southeastern Grocers), I am back today with one of (hopefully) two very quick posts for you guys this month. It is September, which means the temperatures are getting cooler -- granted, here in Ridgeland all "cooler" means is 90 degrees as opposed to 108, but still -- and fall is on its way. Fall is my favorite season, and, despite all the encroachment from Halloween and Christmas already, I am excited to celebrate it. Today I put on my favorite pair of Lucky Brand Jeans, and that made me think of the photoset I took a few years ago at the Ridgeland store (before I moved here!) when it was liquidating. So, in that spirit, I thought I'd go ahead and finally share those photos with y'all today. As their jeans say: "lucky you"!


The Ridgeland Lucky store was located in Renaissance at Colony Park, an outdoor lifestyle center featuring a mix of upscale and local retailers and restaurants. Examples include Apple (soon to relocate to a new spot within the same center, actually), Barnes & Noble (the most consistently busy one I've ever seen in my life), and Hallmark (the subject of a future blog post...), among others. There are some vacancies, but nothing too alarming. Lucky's departure came as a result of the company's bankruptcy announcement in 2020; Ridgeland was one of 13 stores immediately selected for closure, which implies to me it must not have done great business. Today, the only Lucky store in Mississippi is an outlet location at Tanger in Southaven.


Heading inside the store, this is it -- the entire salesfloor. Compared to the Southaven outlet location, with which I am much more familiar, Ridgeland struck me as extremely tiny... but then again, perhaps that's typical for their regular/full-line stores. The aesthetic, at least, was similar to what I'm used to from Southaven.



Looking over to the right-side wall, then to the left. Lucky sells both women's and men's apparel, but as you can imagine, women's has a greater selection -- hence, the registers are placed in the center of the left-hand wall, breaking the men's department into two. Women's, on the other hand, spans the entire right-hand wall. I like the American flag decor behind the registers, as well as the pendant lights above.


Looking straight towards the back of the store. In my experience, it is a typical clothing store layout to have the fitting rooms lined up in a singular row hidden behind a "false" back wall, which is exactly what we see here. Even though the walls are almost entirely white, that is not to say they are bland, as I really like the texture added by the wood, moulding, and -- especially -- that unique ceiling. I know some have mixed opinions on concrete floors, but I think the stained concrete here plays nicely with all of those other elements, too.


In the middle of the store, facing towards the back, were these two cool leather chairs. The Southaven outlet store has similar distressed leather couches (which are extremely comfy, by the way!), so I was surprised this much smaller store managed to fit some similar seating in! I'm assuming this is a common Lucky Brand store trait, and I definitely like it -- I would have loved to have purchased something like this for my apartment, but alas, I don't believe the fixtures were for sale quite yet (plus, who knows how expensive they would've been, lol).

Speaking of fixtures -- also take note of the tables behind the chairs. Those are of a unique style, too, and really zero in on the "vintage" vibe Lucky seems to be curating here.



A look at women's apparel in the back right corner, and men's in the back left (well -- men's, plus women's shoes, anyway). These sections were joined by some various posters showing off either generic Lucky Brand imagery (models and locales), or specific jean types (the men's jeans posters were in the front of the store).

I'm curious: do y'all like to wear jeans? They are by far my favorite type of clothing, as long as they are comfortable enough (which may be part of why I like a brand like Lucky, lol). But besides those who prefer shorts, it seems there are a lot of people these days who simply prefer sweatpants or leggings or the like. Where do you fall?


One final shot of the store shows us men's sale denim in the very back, adjacent to the fitting rooms (notice the black-painted wall as opposed to the white walls out in the salesfloor proper). As a Very Thrifty Individual™, you can rest assured that the only jeans I ever purchase from Lucky are from the clearance section, haha! And even with this store's liquidation sales of 30 to 50 percent off, I did not purchase anything on this visit.

Notice the fixtures in stores like this are designed to maximize storage space, and therefore increase the salesfloor and decrease the stockroom: beneath each of the stair steps are pull-out drawers to hold more stock. I've pointed out similar arrangements at other such stores we've visited on the blog, such as the Rockport at Tanger Outlets Southaven.

About a month into its bankruptcy, Lucky successfully sold its business to Sparc Group, the 50-50 partnership between Authentic Brands Group and Simon Property Group, which have snapped up a number of other ailing brands in recent years. Since then, it appears to have been business as usual for the chain -- lucky, indeed.

That's it for this short post; as I mentioned, keep your eyes out for another one later this month, if all goes well. Until then and as always, thanks for reading, and have fun exploring the retail world wherever you are!

Retail Retell

4 comments:

  1. It is unlucky that Ridgeland lost their Lucky Jeans store! Ok, ok, that joke had to be made, I just wanted to get it out early, lol. So, with that being said, I've heard about Lucky Brand Jeans, but I admit that I don't know anything about their retail operations. I'm sure they have or had stores here in Houston, but without looking, I couldn't even tell you where they might be in town! The store did look pretty nice though. Perhaps the Barnes & Noble crowd in this neighborhood prefers corduroy or something over denim!

    I do wear jeans, but usually only on the weekends when I do important things like grocery shopping! During the week, I wear slacks. In some ways, I prefer wearing slacks to jeans as I find slacks to be a bit more comfortable, but since I wear the slacks to go to work, I figure it is better that I don't risk staining them or something when I am just out causally. Also, if I need to do something in the yard or something, jeans are better for that. I almost never wear shorts outside of the house or the backyard!

    That is even with us having similar weather as to what you have. It is still in the 90s here, but at least it isn't in the 100s like it was for most of July and August. Being in Oregon for a while this summer was nice relief, even if the people in Oregon thought it was hot by their standards, but we have had a severe lack of rain here in Houston this summer. It rained here this weekend for the first time since early July! That is unbelievable really and quite funny because we had a very wet spring!

    Anyway, back to jeans, I don't think I've ever bought jeans from a store that specializes in jeans like Lucky Brand, Gap, Jeans West, County Seat, Levi's Outlet and so forth. The closest I can think of would be the old VF Outlet which were at Factory Stores of America outlet malls, but those stores sold all kinds of clothing and not just Lee brand jeans. Most of my jeans these days are Lee or Levi's, but I've worn my share of store brand jeans over the years like Sears Canyon River Blues, JCPenney's Arizona Jeans, Mervyn's High Sierra, Montgomery Ward's Northwest Blues, and a few others. With that, you can probably see where I normally buy my jeans from!

    Not long before Sears left the Houston area, in around 2019 or maybe very early 2020, they were having some unbelievable blowout sales on clothing. It wasn't a closing sale, technically, but it seemed like they had ~50% stuff and then buy $100, get $100 off next month type promotions. I took advantage of this and bought 3-4 new pairs of Lee and Levi's jeans and some new slacks as well. How could I say no to deals like that?!

    The new jeans are not built to the same standard as the old ones. Even with my new jeans, I still wear old jeans from the late 1990s or early 2000s which are holding up just fine! Some of these old ones don't fit well anymore, lol, so I'll need to rotate in the newer ones I got from Sears.

    Yes, I still wear Northwest Blues clothing purchased from Montgomery Ward! I don't know if that says more about me or about the durability of Wards' clothing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I figured someone would make that joke :P According to Google, it looks like there are Lucky stores at The Galleria and Houston Premium Outlets.

      True -- I wear slacks to work as well, and they can be pretty comfortable, too. When I get home I'll switch into shorts (since in the summer it's too hot to wear jeans...) or jeans, though -- never sweatpants! I have nothing against the people who prefer those, but for me personally they just make me feel lazy, lol.

      I feel you on liking the Oregon weather! I went to Indiana on vacation in August and it was so much nicer up there. We got some rain here in the Jackson area last week as well, the first in a long time that I can remember.

      I like that you mention VF Outlet: that may or may not be the subject of a future post! Its successor is Lee-Wrangler Clearance stores, which in fact is where I've gotten a bunch of my slacks from. Buying jeans growing up I had to go to several different places as it was a bit difficult to find my size; I think I settled on Aeropostale as having what I wanted most of the time, though I also had some from Old Navy and other such places. Once I found Lucky (and my size has been pretty much consistent), I bought a bunch from them, but the pairs I have now are all several years old and I haven't bought new jeans in a long time. (Knock on wood, I won't have to, lol!)

      Those sound like some great deals! Some other slacks I have came from Sears in Memphis, but I don't remember if I bought them when they were closing or not.

      I definitely believe that -- that seems to be true of practically everything these days. I'm just glad my Lucky jeans, which I mentioned are several years old, are still holding up!

      Ha -- we'll go with it saying more about the durability, lol XD

      Delete
  2. I've never been in a Lucky store (and honestly think it looks like basically every other mall clothing store I've been to), but I may have to check one out if their jeans are comfortable! I'm a bit surprised at how much more of the salesfloor seemed to be dedicated to non-jeans rather than jeans for a store whose claim to fame is jeans.

    Maybe it is just in my genes as a Georgia boy, but I also find myself in jeans quite a bit. I prefer to wear shorts on a hot day, but wear a combination of jeans and khakis to work or in the winter. I love the fact that I never have to iron jeans, but like the dressier look of khakis on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very fair point on the salesfloor being mostly non-jeans! Their other clothes are nice too, but it's the jeans I like the best. Most mall clothing stores blend together to me, and I doubt Lucky would be anything special either if not for my enjoyment of their product.

      Yep -- I agree about ironing for sure!

      Delete

Have any info to share, or simply want to join the discussion? Please feel free to leave a comment! Comments are welcome on any and all posts so long as you adopt a username and do not post any malicious links. Comments are subject to moderation before being approved, so please be patient if your comment does not appear automatically. Please remain civil in your comments. If we decide your comment is inappropriate, we reserve the right to delete it.

Disclaimer: The Mid-South Retail Blog exists solely for educational and historical purposes. This blog claims no ownership of, or relation to, any organization, retail or otherwise, whose property may be featured in pictures or in links within posts. We are not affiliated with, or endorsed by, any entity featured on the blog. However, we do claim ownership of our content, unless it is credited otherwise. If you find any inaccuracies in our posts, please let us know in the comments or via email so that we can make any necessary changes. Information on the blog may be frequently updated without notice.