Sunday, February 17, 2019

How Goodwill Florida Wound Up in North Mississippi

Today's post highlights DeSoto County, MS, retail.


You guys know I don't normally post anything in the month of February - I take so long writing my posts, that the already-short month is long-gone by the time I finish one! (Yeah, that's it XD )  In all seriousness, though, this is indeed the first February entry I've posted since 2016... and the blog only started in March of 2015, so technically this is only the second-ever February I've posted during. For this one, I've got (what I hope you'll find is!) a very interesting subject matter, touching on a variety of stores, taking a broad-scale look at one organization, a much narrower-scale stour of one particular location of that organization, and tying it all together with a surprise twist. In keeping with my tradition of no February posts on the Mid-South Retail Blog, however... you're going to have to travel in order to read it. Specifically, I hope you're all prepared to take a trip to Florida! The My Florida Retail blog, that is, home to this special entry covering the story of How Goodwill Florida Wound Up in North Mississippi. Please click the picture below to be transported to Florida and to read this post!


If you have any questions, reactions, or other information you'd like to share in response to that post, feel free to do so here if you'd like, or you can leave your comment over at MFR as well. (Just know that I'm more likely to see your comment if you leave it here instead!) Until next time - when I'll have a full-scale entry to host right here at the MSRB, like usual - and as always, have fun exploring the retail world wherever you are :)

Retail Retell

3 comments:

  1. Great post, as always! I've always found it odd how Goodwill Manasota ended up in Mississippi, although the effects of the partnership appear to have been worth it in the end. I also never realized this wasn't the only time Goodwill Manasota was call upon to to help other ailing Goodwill branches - interesting.

    Your local Goodwill store is kept up very nice for a thrift store, although like you said, as a former department store that helps much with appearance (like my local Roses in an old Bealls - Bealls Florida that is - we need to be on the same page!). You're also doing a good job learning about Florida retail too, as you even included a Kash n' Karry reference in your post! I have to admit, I want to see that Goodwill in the old Kash n' Karry myself. (And its also in Bradenton - that town really has everything!) Goodwill of Central Florida is much more traditional in their operations, preferring the Walgreens sized stores that you mentioned. Goodwill of Central Florida has been on a big kick to rebuild and relocate their stores recently, opting to build brand new buildings for their stores in most cases, so their stores really aren't anything too interesting anymore as far as being in old retail buildings. Anyway, this post was a great way to combine Florida retail with some flare from your own area!

    Also, I can't help but suggest, but I really think you need to start wearing the "authentically-licensed Indiana Jones weathered fedora hat" you may or may not have when out on retail expeditions! It would make them feel that much more adventurous! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was surprised when I found out Goodwill Manasota does this regularly, too. It's not really something you'd expect!

      Yes, that Roses is an amazing looking store! And ha, don't give me too much credit - I totally copied and pasted that verbatim from the comment you left on flickr when I first posted about the connection between Manasota and Memphis XD As for Goodwill of Central Florida, that's pretty interesting to hear they're building ground up stores! That seems rare for Goodwill, for any division/region...

      LOL! Yep, that would make my retail expeditions adventurous indeed, but may be just a tiny bit conspicuous :P

      Delete
    2. ...although, if I did wear the hat, I suppose I could feel like Bob Berkheimer everywhere I go XD

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNmQ3RTfLgo

      Delete

Have any info to share, or simply want to join the discussion? Please feel free to leave a comment! Comments are welcome on any and all posts so long as you adopt a username and do not post any malicious links. Comments are subject to moderation before being approved, so please be patient if your comment does not appear automatically. Please remain civil in your comments. If we decide your comment is inappropriate, we reserve the right to delete it.

Disclaimer: The Mid-South Retail Blog exists solely for educational and historical purposes. This blog claims no ownership of, or relation to, any organization, retail or otherwise, whose property may be featured in pictures or in links within posts. We are not affiliated with, or endorsed by, any entity featured on the blog. However, we do claim ownership of our content, unless it is credited otherwise. If you find any inaccuracies in our posts, please let us know in the comments or via email so that we can make any necessary changes. Information on the blog may be frequently updated without notice.