Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Southaven Tanger Outlet Mall update

What started out as a few pieces of steel three weeks prior, in late March 2015, has now grown into a large building on the south end of the Tanger Outlet property in Southaven. I wanted to get a pic of the steel skeleton before it gets covered, which I expect will start happening very soon. I did a tiny bit of research as well, as I was curious about the site plans for the mall. Alas, I didn't find any such plans, but admittedly didn't take the time to browse through all the numerous articles that have now appeared online. I hadn't realized the magnitude of this thing, 300,000 + sq. ft. when completed! At any rate, here's the same view of the Tanger site as the pic I posted in late March:

I wasn't going to make anymore comments myself, but while researching this subject, I was reminded the official name *was* going to be "Tanger Outlets Memphis", but the official website (just a page at this point) now seems to indicate differently! I surely hope I'm right. This inaccurate name would of been a slap in the face of sorts to both the residents of Southaven and Memphis.

Southaven residents will still have to put up with a lot of Memphis traffic heading southward and invading the area, but now at least the mall will be named for us, if the official online page is any indication that is (http://www.tangeroutlet.com/southaven). Hooray for small victories! As for it being a slap in the face for Memphians: when asked where the new big outlet mall named "Tanger Outlets Memphis" is located, they would of had to embarrassingly admit it's not actually in Memphis, where the areas directly north and east in the city of Memphis itself are nearly a virtual retail wasteland these days.

So again, unless I'm reading things wrong, dropping the name "Memphis" from this outlet mall project is a win-win situation, and another chance for us in Southaven to rub Memphis' face in it, LoL! When Bass Pro opens one of it's biggest new destination locations in downtown Memphis in the next few weeks, and Ikea opens out in Cordova in the future, I guess I'll have to eat crow then! Hopefully these developments will help spur some revitalization in those particular areas of Memphis, which by the way are NOT retail wastelands, but are somewhat marred by bad perceptions nonetheless. Well, there was Peabody Place Mall in downtown Memphis, but we won't go there... That was a big part of the problem I reckon, literally almost nobody went there!

One more thing: I don't do Twitter myself, but tweeter "hayley shaver" (https://twitter.com/hayley_shaver96/status/553341085918167040) says it best: "Southaven totally needs more traffic so let's add an outlet mall". I agree, Hayley, pour it on! Hayely hails from Olive Branch by the way, so kindly go tweet about something else Hayley, and let us long time Southaven residents do all the complaining, LoL!


1 comment:

  1. That's great news about the naming! I know it's been heavily debated. I was thinking if they couldn't decide on either city name, then maybe Tanger Outlets Mid-South.

    ReplyDelete

Have any info to share, or simply want to join the discussion? Please feel free to leave a comment! Comments are welcome on any and all posts so long as you adopt a username and do not post any malicious links. Comments are subject to moderation before being approved, so please be patient if your comment does not appear automatically. Please remain civil in your comments. If we decide your comment is inappropriate, we reserve the right to delete it.

Disclaimer: The Mid-South Retail Blog exists solely for educational and historical purposes. This blog claims no ownership of, or relation to, any organization, retail or otherwise, whose property may be featured in pictures or in links within posts. We are not affiliated with, or endorsed by, any entity featured on the blog. However, we do claim ownership of our content, unless it is credited otherwise. If you find any inaccuracies in our posts, please let us know in the comments or via email so that we can make any necessary changes. Information on the blog may be frequently updated without notice.